Who's More Likely to Drive Drowsy
- Drivers who do not get enough sleep.
- Commercial drivers who operate vehicles such as tow trucks, tractor trailers, and buses.
- Shift workers (work the night shift or long shifts).
- Drivers with untreated sleep disorder when breathing repeatedly stops & starts (sleep apnea).
- Drivers who use medications that make them sleepy.
Know the signs:
These are the common indications of drowsy driving:
- Yawning or blinking frequently
- Difficulty remembering the past few miles driven
- Missing an exit or turn
- Drifting from travel lane
- Hitting a rumble strip on the side of the road.
If you experience any of these warning signs pull over to rest or change drivers. Simply turning up the radio or opening the window are not effective ways to keep you alert.