Types of Parking Cont'd
Parking on a Hill – Uphill with NO Curb:
- Drive as far off the roadway onto the shoulder as possible and stop.
- Turn wheels AWAY from traffic. (see diagram below)
- Shift into PARK (P) for automatic transmissions, or into FIRST gear for a manual transmission.
- Engage the PARKING brake.
Parking on a Hill – Uphill with Curb:
- Position your vehicle 6 inches from a curb and stop.
- Turn your steering wheel AWAY from the curb and let the vehicle move slowly back until the back of the front tire touches the curb.
- Shift into Park (P) if your vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission or FIRST with a manual transmission.
- Engage the parking brake.