Types of Parking Cont'd
Perpendicular Parking -Entering
- Signal intention and position your vehicle 5-6 feet away from the space.
- Move forward until the side view mirror appears to align with the first line of the space.
- Turn the wheel rapidly in the direction of the space controlling speed.
- Steer towards a target in CENTER of the space and straighten the wheels.
- Position the front bumper 3-6 inches from the curb or end of the space.
Perpendicular Parking –Exiting
- Place foot on BRAKE, signal direction of turn, shift to REVERSE, search area for obstructions/oncoming vehicles.
- Back up until SIDE VIEW mirror is even with the bumper of the vehicle located to the side, begin turning the steering wheel in the direction you want to go.
- Monitor the rear and your front bumper on the opposite side of the direction you are turning.
- When the FRONT bumper clears the back of the vehicle, stop, and shift to DRIVE.