Types of Driver's Licenses and Permits

Motorcycle Driver’s License:

If you operate a motorcycle in Virginia, you must hold a valid motorcycle classification designation on your driver’s license, or have a driver’s license restricted to the operation of a motorcycle.

When applying for a new motorcycle classification, riders will be asked to indicate the type of motorcycle they wish to operate, two-wheeled or three-wheeled. The appropriate classification, M2 for two-wheeled or M3 for three-wheeled, will be marked on the license once DMV staff determines the applicant has passed the road test on the type of motorcycle he/she has indicated or has completed an acceptable motorcycle rider training course.

Riders who test on both two-wheeled and three-wheeled motorcycles or complete training courses for both types of vehicles will receive an M classification. An M classification signifies that the license holder is permitted to operate two-wheeled and three-wheeled motorcycles.

For more information, refer to the Virginia Motorcycle Operator Manual (DMV 2).

Scroll to Top