Types of Driver's Licenses and Permits

School Bus Driver’s License:

If you wish to operate a school bus designed to carry 15 occupants (including the driver), you do not need to obtain a commercial driver’s license.

However, you will need to take the commercial driver and school bus tests to obtain the school bus endorsement on your driver’s license. You will be restricted to driving a bus designed to carry 15 occupants (including the driver). This restriction will be printed on your license.

For more information about licensing requirements to operate larger school buses, refer to the Virginia Supplement to the Commercial Driver License Manual DMV 60V) available at www.dmvNOW.com under forms or any DMV customer service center.

Scroll to Top