Steps to Earn a Leaner's Permit
Minors who wish to drive must pass a written test before obtaining a learner’s permit. The learner’s permit test covers state driving law and is based on the Virginia driver’s manual. The steps involved are:
- Complete a DL1P learner’s permit and driver license application form.
- Furnish proof of social security, residency, proof of legal presence in the USA, and original identification document certifying name and date of birth.
- Pass a multiple-choice sign and knowledge test. Must CORRECTLY answer all 10 road sign questions before being able to proceed to the second part of the exam. Students are then required to answer at least 80% of the 25 general knowledge questions correctly (20 out of 25). Students who fail either section of the DMV knowledge test will not be eligible for retesting for at least 15 days, and are required to retake both tests.
- Any applicant who fails the DMV driver knowledge or sign test for a learner’s permit three (3) times will not be allowed to take the examination a fourth time until he/she successfully completes the classroom component of driver education subsequent to the third failure.
- Pass a vision test.
- Have a digitized photo taken at DMV.