Space Management System Cont'd
Managing Your Space to the Rear
When you stop behind someone, follow this rule: Can you see the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you? If so, you are an appropriate distance behind.
When and how should you manage your space when driving BEHIND someone?
- Do so REGULARLY
- BEFORE braking and WHILE braking.
- While STOPPED in traffic (move forward or back).
- Before and after TURNS
- Before and after CHANGING LANES.
Managing Your Space to the SIDE
- Try to keep at least ONE of the side zones open at all times. Be observant!
- Others will have the same idea, and may move into the space as you prepare to go there.
- When you notice an oncoming vehicle approaching to your side, adjust lane position to INCREASE space slightly.
- Adjust lane position to INCREASE space between your vehicle and parked cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, animals, and other potential obstructions.