Safe Driving Tips Everyone Should Know
Focus on driving
- Keep 100% of your attention on driving at all times – no multi-tasking.
- Don’t use your phone or any other electronic device while driving.
- Slow down! Speeding gives you less time to react and increases the severity of an accident.
- Be aware of what other drivers around you are doing and expect the unexpected.
- Assume other motorists will do something crazy, and always be prepared to avoid it.
- Keep a 2-second cushion between you and the car in front of you, and 4-seconds when the weather is bad.
Make a safe driving plan
- Build time into your trip schedule to stop for food, rest breaks, phone calls or other business.
- Adjust your sea, mirrors, and climate controls before putting the car in gear.
- Pull over to eat or drink. It takes only a few minutes.
Make a safe travel driving plan
- Secure cargo that may move around while the vehicle is in motion.
- Have items needed within easy reach – such as toll fees, toll cards and garage passes.
- Always wear your seat belt and drive sober and drug-free.