Parking Lot Strategies
- Obey speed limits.
- Obey signs and pavement markings.
- Do not drive diagonally across parking lot markings.
- Be alert for pedestrians, bicyclists, roller-bladers, Segues, skateboarders, etc.
- Avoid tight parking spaces.
- Avoid competing for a parking space.
- Park so the front and rear of vehicle is not in the flow of traffic.
- Position the vehicle properly in the space.
- Secure the parking brake.
- Secure the vehicle, locking valuables in the trunk.
- Search all directions before exiting the space.
- Watch for drivers backing out who may not be paying attention.
Parking Garage Strategies
- Use headlights.
- Watch for brake lights of other cars.
- Stay to the right in garage lanes, even if lane unmarked.
- Be aware of others in the garage.
- Be cautious when approaching vehicle. Have key in hand and remain vigilant.
- Drive slowly.
- Vehicles displaying the international symbol for handicapped persons (see Module 3) on their car, hangtag placard, or specialty license plate with this symbol may park for up to FOUR hours in handicapped spaces.
- Non-handicapped drivers are prohibited from parking in handicapped parking areas and may be fined up to $500 or more. Check local laws or where posted.
- A disabled person can be fined $500 if she/he allows someone to use his/her parking placard and can have parking privileges revoked for misuse.