Eligibility for State ID Card / Learner's Permit
In order to get a learner’s permit, you must meet the following requirements:
You must be at least 15 years and 6 months.
If you are under 18 years old, you must have written consent from your parent or legal guardian.
When you’re ready, head to your local VA DMV office and submit:
Driver’s License and Identification Card Application (Form DL 1P), 2 proofs proving identity (U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport) and proof of:
- Legal presence (U.S. birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, resident alien card).
- Virginia residency (bank statement, school letter, report card).
- Social Security number (Social Security card, W-2 form, 1099 form).
You will also need to pass the vision and written knowledge exams and pay the $3 permit fee and $4 per year license fee.
ID card has no age restriction and is available for both adults and children.
Applicant must be a resident of Virginia, and must present:
- Identification document(s)
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Virginia residency
- Proof of legal presence
For a teen to obtain a Learner’s Permit in Virginia, the teen must have parent permission; be at least 15 years and 6 months old; provide proof of identity, residency, and legal presence (be a US citizen or legally authorized to be in the US); and pass a sign and knowledge test.